Happy National Grammar Day! According to Grammar Girl, today is “not only a date, it’s an imperative: March forth on March 4 to speak well, write well, and help others do the same!”
It is in the spirit of National Grammar Day that I repeat the advice I gave my staff on this holiday last year: “Spell well and punctuate perfectly, my friends.”
Later today, when the appropriate time for drinking arrives in your time zone, enjoy a “grammartini!” Here is the recipe, courtesy of Martha Brockenbrough, founder of National Grammar Day:
- 2 1/2 oz gin
- 1/2 oz dry vermouth (The ratio is what’s important.)
- 1 green olive (Some people use lemon.)
- Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker or other mixing glass filled with ice cubes.
- Shake or stir (your choice) for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a martini glass.